Thursday, January 20, 2011

I So Didn't Need to See That

It's probably actually more horrifying than you think. I know that I've been permanently scarred. We went for a short sanity walk this morning. Turns out in the end it was more needed than I thought. We attempted to get ready to go at about 10:15, but due to much whining, I put that on hold and the boy in his room. I mean really, he's the one who wanted to go. I was leaving the apt. specifically for him, and all he could do was whine about having to get ready. Well since I didn't care about leaving I decided that we wouldn't. Of course he freaked out for a little while, and then decided that he was going to be okay and not whine while he got ready. 30 min. after we were originally going to leave the house, we were out the door.

I just planned on walking around the block, which actually means we walk for a while and then turn around, because where we are located there are one way streets and lots of tunnels,  so to walk around the block takes way more effort than just turning around. I had thought that I might pick something up for dinner on the way back but turns out I wasn't actually motivated to do that, but I did pick up a bag of apples.

Just before the tunnel before the road that our apt. is on there is what appears to be an abandoned house. The windows are broken and there is a run down car out front. Lots of stuff piled inside. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a rather large web. Upon further inspection, there was a really, really big spider hanging from this web. OH THE HORROR! This is probably the largest spider I have ever seen, not at a zoo or on t.v., with the exception of those crazy lake/swamp spiders we used to get at the crisis respite center near Snake Lake. Those suckers were insane. This was a serious spider, bigger than a brown recluse, the legs were much longer, like a daddy long leg, only much more substantial. I think that had I known about these, I may have put a little more thought into this crazy trip of ours. Swear to God, one of those gets in the apt. I'm going to have a heart attack. I nearly had one on the street, and couldn't stop eying every crevice in the tunnel as we went through, hoping that none were lurking near by.

In a place where there is so little crime people leave their bikes on the side of the road, not locked up, just there, and know that they will still be there when they return,  my biggest fear has become these spiders. It leads me to wonder what eats these spiders, what other sorts of crazy bugs or animals are out there? People can be controlled, but nature often has a mind of it's own.

Irrational? Yes, but I will continue to scrunch up on the couch, nervously scanning the corners of the room.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, that totally stressed me out and I'm not even there. I hate spiders, and do not blame you at all. UGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish I could have had the fore thought to take a pic. so I could post it. Alas, I don't think I could handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I could sleep...eeek.

    ReplyDelete